Mississippi High School Film Competition
Friday & Saturday, April 17-18, 2020
The Mississippi High School Film Competition, a component of the Tupelo Film Festival Society, is a competition that was created to promote the art of filmmaking to Mississippi High School students involved in film and television classes, film groups or individual filmmaking. The competition awards cash prizes to the students and their teachers. Also, universities offer scholarships to the winners. See the details below.
The Mississippi High School Film Competition is offering an early day of free workshops/competition on Friday, April 17, in Tupelo. Professional filmmakers will present workshops, and interested students will compete in a three-hour (group) Film Challenge.
Students do not have to have a film accepted into the festival to attend the events on either day. The events are free and open to the public. The location and times for the early events will be announced in the spring.
The high school film screenings will be held on Saturday, April 18th, at the Elvis Presley Birthplace in Tupelo, MS. Awards show to follow the filmmakers Q & A. Please see below for information on submission guidelines.
For more information, call Morgan Cutturini at 662-414-0257 or e-mail email@example.com.
Visit the Facebook page for the high school competition:@tupelofilmfest.
1st Place $500 ($250 & Trophy for filmmaker/$250 for school)
2nd Place $300 ($150 & Trophy for filmmaker/$150 for school)
3rd Place $100 ($50 & Trophy for filmmaker/$50 for school)
Audience Award $300 – (Trophy & Cash Award for filmmaker – This award is provided by the Casey Spradling Memorial Scholarship Fund.)
Best Cinematography $200 (Cash Award for the filmmaker – sponsored by the Ole Miss Film Program)
All scholarships are awarded based on successful application and acceptance to the university.
1st place – $3,000
2nd place – $2,000
3rd place – $1,000
University of Southern Mississippi
1st place – $500
2nd place – $200
3rd place – $100
Watkins College of Art
1st place – $12,000 over four years
2nd place – $8,000 over four years
3rd place – $4,000 over four years
MS HIGH SCHOOL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
1. Students must be enrolled in a Mississippi High School.
2. Film entries must not exceed 10 minutes running time including credits.
3. Film entries must have been produced in the last two years (no earlier than January 31, 2018).
4. Film entries must be in English or have English subtitles.
5. It is permissible for film entries to have entered or won other contests.
6. Film entries should have minimal profanity and violence.
7. All film entries will be judged on performances, production value and originality. Entries will be reviewed by members of the Tupelo Film Festival Society. Entries selected will be judged by an independent panel of judges. The decisions of the judges are final, and any winning entry found to have violated the rules and regulations will have to forfeit.
8. The entry fee is $10 per film. Film entries must be submitted through www.filmfreeway.com and the deadline for entry is January 31, 2020.
9. Students must e-mail an entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 15, 2020. Forms must name the sponsoring faculty member. Download entry forms below.
10. Students must email a still (photo) of the film to email@example.com by March 15, 2020.
11. Film entries should include the entry title and name of the student on all materials. If selected the student will be notified by email on or before March 1, 2020.
12. There is a limit of two (2) entries per student, each with a separate application and submission on www.filmfreeway.com.
Click Here for PDF entry form.